PetBox is a fictional eCommerce company that sells monthly subscription boxes containing animal care products. In the accompanying PetBox app, subscribers can track and customize their monthly boxes, view their box history, and purchase specific products they liked from their boxes. In addition, non-subscribers have access to features such as PetCam, which allows them to watch their cats through connected webcams.
The product team at PetBox wants to increase the user activity this month and they think that PetCam can help with that goal. They will analyze their users and re-engage those users who have not used the PetCam since it was launched.
Understand whether users have tried out the PetCam.
Create a Target Segment
- Create a user segment for all users who opened the PetBox app but have not opened PetCam since it was launched in Segmentation. Change Total count of to Users who performed. Select the Open App event from the data dropdown and select Open PetCam from the Did [not] Perform dropdown.
- Selecting an event from Did [not] Perform invokes the "For" clause. We use this clause to help us understand whether a user performed an action before/after the target event. We are also able to examine this action based on a specific date range. In this case, we selected did not do, between and used 03/01/xxxx to Today for our "For" clause date range as March 1st is when the PetCam was launched.
- Since we are saving a user segment out of this query, we also want to open up the date range to 03/01/xxxx to Today so we can capture all of the users who have opened the app since the feature was released. This is your final query:
Note: The date ranges used have a static start date of 03/01/xxxx and a relative end date of Today. Using a dynamic date range enables us to examine only those who have not used the filters feature even at a later date but remember to save it as a user segment with a daily update cadence.
- Below is the Create a User Segment modal. Name the segment and provide a description for = future ease of use.
- Select a category or create a new one by typing the name in so you can easily find your user segment in the future.
- Toggle to Daily.
Analyze or Activate with this User Segment
Congratulations on creating the user segment. Let's put it to good use.
Saving to the Dashboard to Track Trends
- Analyze the ratio of users who have opened PetCam against those who have not opened PetCam using the calculator tool. First, create two queries: one filters for events performed by users within this segment and one filters for events performed by users who are not in this segment.
- Now, we can use the calculator tool to calculate our ratio.
- After we run the query, we can save the line chart to a dashboard as one widget and the average as a separate metric widget. Now you can track this ratio on your dashboard.
Export your users to send targeted notifications
You can export your users to engage with them outside of Indicative in one of two ways:
- Download a CSV and upload it to your marketing tools.
- Connect to our Segments API (available for Pro and Enterprise users) to make API calls to your automation tools.
This tutorial shows just a few of the ways you can use Indicative to analyze your data and achieve actionable insights from it. If you have any questions or comments, please reach out to email@example.com. If you found this helpful, let us know by clicking the heart below!